The Smith laboratory develops model systems to identify microbial and chemical agents that affect pregnancy and development, and uses those models to investigate mechanisms of toxicity and develop therapies for treating adverse effects.
Other areas of focus include developmental and reproductive toxicology as well as microbial and chemical risk assessment.
- Effects of toxicants on reproduction and development
- Environmental and microbial risk assessment methodology
- Effects of pathogens on pregnancy and development
- In vitro and in vivo models for toxicity testing
- Publications by Mary Alice Smith may be found at PubMed.